The Corrs - "Talk on Corners"

BECAUSE the power is not MINE, I'll just have to LET IT FLAAHAA...

• Total voters
Listening to The Corrs makes me feel all WARM and FUZZY.:emoji_hugging: Simpler times.

In Blue is also probably my fave from them as I’ve listened to it the most and had the CASSETTE and everything.

LOL at the Irresistible critique. As if most of the FAFF you guys listen to doesn’t have the same problem. I’ve never even thought Breathless and Irresistible were that similar. The latter has a completely different MOOD and in fact I much PREFER it to Breathless.

I do like the SLUTTED UP version of Talk On Corners as well. Only When I Sleep is amazing and the opening beats of the So Young remix always make my gunny pop. All of their first four albums were good. I don’t know the last one.

Runaway really is wonderful. I remember being quite surprised it was a hit (the second time around) but it has this really nice warm-by-the-fire wintery feeling that I think went down well.

Maybe England was late to the party but they were EVERYWHERE in Spain with their first album (which as a Celt I duly owned) and all their subsequent albums were DIMINISHING RETURNS as they seemed to abandon their TIN WHISTLES in favour of POP HARMONIES.

Runaway, Forgiven not Forgotten, The Right Time, Love to Love You... ALL CLASSICS.

I genuinely can't fathom how Breathless and Irresistible could be deemed "completely different".

So Young is maybe the only one where I think the remixed edition improved on the original. Much more bounce.

The first album is equally as magnificent as TOC. With half of the album being instrumentals, it's lighter on pop hooks but what's there is fab. The girls sound less like a trio of beautiful sisters, and more like Macbeth's witches, on the dark title track. The Right Time is a much better attempt at aping Ace Of Base than the later Give It All Up. Closer is an even more gorgeous and dramatic ballad than Runaway.

Their popularity in the mid-late 90s was crazy. Didn't they have both the #1 and the #2 album in the UK for a time?

Their popularity in the mid-late 90s was crazy. Didn't they have both the #1 and the #2 album in the UK for a time?

Yes, at the time I was in deep chart fan territory so that was flooding my basement

It seems there was already a thread about this album in the classics forum where people were LESS THAN GLOWING :D

I don’t know why we’re even talking about this when there’s a new Daniel O’Donnell ablam to be chatting about

I unashamedly love The Corrs, sure they're kind of MOR bland pop but my GOD they hit the spot.

No, and that's a modern TRAGEDY make no mistake.

Neither is the ridiculous Ace Of Base single remix of The Right Time (I adore the video where Andrea very briefly considers dancing and then just slowly turns around on a spot instead).

Someone get Pop Music Activism on the blower STAT

Last edited:
It always irked me why they released a premature GH right after In Blue didn't do so well :( They should have waited until they chucked out Borrowed Heaven (which according to Wikipedia didn't do much business either) but a single collection by that point would have done well for their profile :disco:

They even followed Hilary Duff's steps and have released about 3 GH so far I mean, how many times do you want to own the Todd Terry Remix of DREAMS in HQ? :eyes:

Maybe by 2001 when the first GH was released they knew the Corrs ship was sinking fast and had to flog it as much as they could?

I suspect more label greed - a Corrs record was a guaranteed bumper seller (especially at Christmas as a lazy mum present), but they weren't recording new material quickly enough.

The market for MOR wasn't exactly fading away, with Dido and David Gray continuing to wave the flag.

In hindsight yes, a GH and a four year break between studio albums for a Radio 2 favourite gave entirely the wrong message, and immediately condemned them as a heritage act.

I wasn’t that strange to have a GH after 3 albums in those days though, was it? Especially after some huge albums like that

and especially if it looked like the peak had already passed!

I’m not quite getting the Breathless / Irresistible likenesses either, they’re both Mutt Lange though right?

if anything I’d say Breathless and Summer Sunshine were more similar!

Fun facts:

I recorded What Can I Do as one of my GCSE Music performances (A*)

And I won the house music competition in Year 11 singing I Never Loved You Anyway :D

Is it Wet Wet Wet with the Liberty X guy? I mean, not that it matters, but Lip Service is still very much a high.

I got up early today, played What Can I Do and proceeded to listen to almost their entire discography :disco:

they were SO GOOD! they had an absolutely stunning pop sensibility right from the off. their first four albums were all fantastic.

Thank goodness people like them still, I don’t want it to be a secret shame. I haven’t really listened to the later albums for whatever reason, so I should do a deep dive (not into 9/11 though)

let's ATTEMPT a top 10...

01. Runaway
02. So Young
03. What Can I Do
04. Summer Sunshine
05. Forgiven, Not Forgotten
06. Long Night
07. Breathless
08. I Never Loved You Anyway
09. One Night
10. Radio
(11. Angel / Old Town)

also LOVED their occasional forays into bubblegum pop - Humdrum, Give It All Up :disco: I think Borrowed Heaven is maybe their best record overall. the DRAMA of Baby Be Brave!!! it felt like a reset after In Blue.

I genuinely can't fathom how Breathless and Irresistible could be deemed "completely different".
one is a completely formulaic retread of the other! I mean they both open with an acapella refrain of the chorus! hardly oceans apart :D

oh the Borrowed Heaven title track is SO GOOD! what a treat to dive into them again after 2 or 3 years of not even SPARING A THOUGHT.

1. Only When I Sleep
2. Forgiven, NOT Forgotten
3. So Young (K-KLASS MIX)
4. No Good For Me
5. Love To Love You
6. Queen of Hollywood
7. Runaway
8. Dreams
9. I Never Loved You Anyway
10. Breathless

Looking at their chart history, their record company really persisted with them pre-Dreams. I'm not sure whether they got big in Europe first to justify it, but obviously it massively paid off in the end.

Weren't they somewhat big in Europe and also in the USA as well pre-'Dreams'? I'm pretty sure Forgiven Not Forgotten may have gone 1xP in the USA pre-their big UK breakthrough but I might be wrong..

oh ok, if you INSIST, a top 15 then.

1. Don't say you love me
2. Not good for me
3. Heaven knows
4. What can I do? (Album version)
5. Breathless
6. So Young (K-Klass Remix)
7. Give me a reason (Cutfather & Joe Remix)
8. Only in my sleep
9. The right time (Radio Mix)
10. Unconditional
11. Queen of Hollywood
12. When the stars go blue
13. Radio
14. Runaway (Tin Tin Out mix)
15. Forgiven, not forgotten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom