The Final Fantasy lounge

The optimal way is keeping your characters in Critical/Aura so you can use their limit breaks, or maybe that's just how I played it :tongueout: I also made plenty of use of magic, you just have to have a decent amount of spells that aren't junctioned to any stats. As for the card game, obviously that's the REAL main gameplay mechanic and the while RPG thing is just a sidequest so I don't get the criticism :disco:

their limit breaks
And as with all things in FFVIII, Quistis is mother when it comes to these :disco: Well she would be if she wasn't a hideously old HAG on the scrapheap, being so much older than everyone else (18)

And as with all things in FFVIII, Quistis is mother when it comes to these :disco: Well she would be if she wasn't a hideously old HAG on the scrapheap, being so much older than everyone else (18)
No, firing your dog from the arse was the best one :disco: :disco: :disco:

Well yes :disco: Angelo clearly getting a diet of beans and week-old tripe going by that explosion.

I never understood why there was so much focus on Squall with his DULL ASS sword swiping that we've seen hundreds of times before, when the others were serving dog fart cannons, epilepsy-inducing black holes, "bad breath", dolphins, or Selphie destroying the whole universe with butterflies

• Love
Reactions: COB
I also quite liked FFVIII levelling up the enemies as you went along.

Other games tended to suffer later on when the plot demanded your Lv 65 party trudge back to revisit old locations, and you're then still being BOTHERED by overly ambitious Lv 2 insects.

At least my FFVIII insects were half-braced for innovative dog fart ass cannons

Not here on the FF8 bus, it already clipped me as I was crossing the road and I can’t forgive. Maybe after all the pixel remasters I’ll go through the PS1/2 games again

• Wow
This will probably be the first mainline FF game I don’t buy :(
That combat system is not my thing at all.

• Care
@Lee there is apparently an option for more of a traditional way of playing the battles, but I don't think they've showed it off yet so I'd definitely wait and see what it's like before jumping in. I remember FFXV had a 'turn-based' mode and it was utter MISERY how they'd implemented it :zombie:

Whereas I'll be buying a PS5 just to get this, since it looks SO GOOD
I don’t think it’s going to be bad. I think I’m just disappointed a series I’ve loved for almost 3 decades has gone in a direction I don’t enjoy.

@Lee there is apparently an option for more of a traditional way of playing the battles, but I don't think they've showed it off yet so I'd definitely wait and see what it's like before jumping in. I remember FFXV had a 'turn-based' mode and it was utter MISERY how they'd implemented it :zombie:
Interesting. I’ll see what I can find but I didn’t enjoy FFXV or FFVII-R’s ‘turn-based’ systems.
FFVII-R’s hybrid combat system is gold to me.

One day I'll watch this series in full, the bits and bobs I've seen over the years make it look like such amazing dogshit :disco:

They added a font option! The Exp multipliers are nice too, I could see myself popping those on to save on grinding time.

I'm going to replay all FF (and some for the first time) mainline titles working backwards from FFXV on my new Steam Deck :disco: BUT is it worth just skipping the XIII sequels? I don't think I even finished the original game.

I'm going to replay all FF (and some for the first time) mainline titles working backwards from FFXV on my new Steam Deck :disco: BUT is it worth just skipping the XIII sequels? I don't think I even finished the original game.
Some may disagree, but: yes.

They improve on the original's battle system in a lot of ways, but I didn't enjoy that in the first place so y'know :eyes:

However, do not DARE skip X-2

Quick Opinion poll: Do y'all like FFX is FFXII better?

(We need a more extensive FF poll or a sync-play or something)

I like the idea of XII, and the combat system is good (especially the international/zodiac version), but I think the plot isn't especially well communicated.

I adore the full turn based combat of X, the world is much better realised, I like the characters more, and the music too. Also directly controlling summons is everything.

FFXII gameplay > FFX

FFX characters, world, music, plot > FFXII

The FFXII main characters felt like someone had just taken every previous FF character and just AVERAGED them out, and so they were very average and colourless indeed.

They added a font option! The Exp multipliers are nice too, I could see myself popping those on to save on grinding time.

I have pre-ordered VI, and will probably get V at some point too (I've played that more often so it can wait). I've seen that for those two games there's a separate multiplier option for ability points that can be set independently from the Exp multiplier, which is quite nice!

Replaying FFVI is bringing back so many great memories, I love these characters so much :love: I'm not THAT far in (just got the first four espers), and it's honestly been so nice to go back to so I'm hoping to take my time and savour it all.

I'm on the final section of FF6, and even although I had guessed it was coming, my characters are not in a fit state for it. Thank god for the x4 (plus growth egg) experience I'll be using to sort everyone out.

Last edited:
The last phase of FF6 is a favourite. I loved that it reminded you that it really was an ensemble cast. You could have gone along assuming Terra and Locke were the mains, and then suddenly the game flips and says "nah, feel free to complete the game without ever finding them again. Have a yeti instead"

Last edited:
  • Love
The current rumour is that a remake of Final Fantasy X is in the works, but it'll be released in 2026 (for the 25th anniversary of the original release) so don't get too excited yet. I'm curious about it, but I'd much rather have a remake of VIII with the VII Remake style of gameplay.

Also the FFIX remake (allegedly being announced soon! :eyes: ) will apparently be quite faithful to the original, ie it'll still have an ATB-based battle system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom