TOP TWENTY MOOPY DEATHS

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
According to the number of replies, at least. Although I think on the whole it's fairly indicative of the level of moopy relevance.

1 Michael Jackson (2036 replies)
2 Whitney Houston (794)
3 Margaret Thatcher (665)
4 Amy Winehouse (410)
5 Cory Monteith (267)
6 Jade Goody (244)
7 Stephen Gately (237)
8 Heath Ledger (229)
(Zsa Zsa Gabor NOT dead 176)
9 Donna Summer (140)
10 Cilla Black (139) *HOT SHOT DEBUT
11 Osama Bin Laden (134)
12 Brittany Murphy (128)
13 Robin Williams (121)
14 Kristian Digby (119)
15 Wendy Richard (105)
16 Nelson Mandela (95)
17 Ronald Reagan (91)
17 Peaches Geldof (91)
19 Caron Keating (88)
19 Jonathan Ross's dog (88)

Last edited:
Anne Kirkbride (87), Jeremy Beadle (87) and Mollie Sugden (85) bubbling under.

It feels like Anne Kirkbride was discussed a lot more than that. I'm guessing some of the chat would have been in the main Corrie thread.

MJ really was the ultimate celebrity death of this generation. Not just in terms of being a pop legend and iconic weirdo, but the way it played out in real time for a whole night. One of those real 'you remember where you were when...' moments.

Last edited:
So many of my 'you remember where you were' moments are answered with 'reading it on moopy', at least as far as deaths go.

I remember posting early on in the thread that he'd better not be dead or Ellie might top herself. I didn't think he actually WAS

The MJ death was HUGE. Sudden, during a comeback, suspicious and probably the first MAJOR death to play out online... also timing wise was just early enough to be before UK bedtime. Also it went on for days/ weeks.

I'm most stunned at Cory Monteith being on that list. He couldn't get arrested these days.

There's a BIG THRILL in getting to Moopy quick enough to post a DEAD thread

The fact that it was an evening (was it a Friday?) helped with MJ too. It was my friend's birthday and a bunch of us were sat outside having a late night barbecue. Naturally the celebrations were instantly overshadowed and we spent the night alternating between gawping at Sky News and playing his imperial albums at high volume.

As I recall Amy was confirmed dead around midday of a Saturday. I remember watching her noted BFF Michelle Gayle giving live reaction on Sky News, and being in a club later that night where they played Tears Dry On Their Own and everybody got a bit weepy.

Did we wake up to Whitney? I can't really remember the particulars of that one as much.

I wonder how the Diana death went down on dot? It existed then didn't it, but I wasn't a member.

I don't think I did ANY of the above. I just missed Thatcher, Mandella, Summer and Geldof IIRC.

I did OF COURSE start the infamous Zsa Zsa CELEBRATION of life.

MJ was a Thursday night. I had a very messy MJ dominated Friday night the next day.

Yep I started the Whitney one :disco:

I remember flicking on Sky News on a Saturday night just before I was going to bed and the breaking news came up. Couldn't believe my 'luck'

Last edited:
My memory of LADY DI's passing is my dad calling up the RHYLL SUN CENTRE because we were planning a day out there and he was worried they'd close as a mark of respect. :D

The funeral day I remember watching in my parents room though. I have a really vivid memory of the brother's speech for some reason. Possibly because it was so angry and accusatory.

Whitney was a Saturday night. I remember being devastated in the Polo.

I was getting home from a piss up, slapped on my laptop, face up to the screen and there it was WHITNEY HOUSTON DEAD. Probably about 1.30 am.

For Amy, I was at a child themed birthday party. It was of course the day after the Norwegian massacre, which dominated over her demise.

I will always remember being at the zoo for Cilla yesterday and scoring pot in a pub, as I found out about 9/11.

I don't remember where I was for Winehouse's death at all. I'm wondering if that was because compared to a lot of the other ones here, it was unfortunately sort of expected for a long time.

Michael Jackson it was a Thursday night and I was at an Anastacia concert in Hammersmith. We went for a drink close by after before last tube and everyone was crowding round the TV as it was breaking :o

Amy Winehouse I was in Spain and my partner at the time told me, I didn't believe it as it wasn't on Sky News or anything for a little while. I would have been in exactly the same place if Cilla had died a few days earlier this year

I remember that I only found about MJ's death in the morning on my way to work.

Was Amy really right after the Utoya massacre? I do remember writing about it on FB but right now I can't even remember which year it was.

Did we wake up to Whitney? I can't really remember the particulars of that one as much.

Whitney was about 1am Swedish time on a Saturday night I think. I was at a party in a Malmö hotel and all of a sudden the news started to filter through. Lots of people staring at their phones, a few teary faces and then the DJ announces a tribute to her and starts playing a Whitney medley. Surreal.

Was Amy really right after the Utoya massacre? I do remember writing about it on FB but right now I can't even remember which year it was.
2011. She's been dead for four years.

I find Ronald Reagan is the most random on that list to me. I didn't think Moopy would be even half interested in him.

Yeah, because I remember all the worthy knob 'eds on twitter complaining that no one should be sad about Amy Winehouse when some other people were killed that day. Apparently there can only be one designated tragedy at a time.

If MJ had died a day earlier he would have been #1 that week. I took the Friday off work and no one questioned it or asked why I was sick.

I found out about Amy when I was spending the weekend with my mum through cwej on Twitter. I then demanded we switch the TV from Colombo to a news channel.

Last edited:
I remember MJ and Whitney very well.

MJ was the day after my birthday, I was coming back from a job interview in Luxembourg.

When Whitney died, I had a friend/fuck over. It was literally the first thing I told him when he woke up.

When Amy happened I was in Northern Michigan on vacation, it was simultaneously non-shocking yet still unbelievably tragic.

MJ died around the time Mariah's "Obsessed" was released, I remember, and it was a rainy day coming home from my Summer job that I heard the news. I recall the news outlets took forever to confirm, but TMZ said he was dead pretty much from the get go. It was also the early days of Twitter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom