What Are You Watching? 2024

GLADIATORS from tonight. Its on far too early though so we are recording it and watching at 8pm or so :disco:

I won't be watching Gladiators but I am interested to see how it does. I thought it was an odd revival but the reviews I have seen have been very positive.

I always really enjoyed Gladiators but not sure how I would feel about it in 2024.

I'd not seen it before and thought it was fab.

(But, for context, I'm also currently watching The Masked Singer and having a lovely time so I've a brain full of worms.)

Well if you liked Gladiators then you’ll probably like it now because it’s a faithful retread. A couple of new games and of course the new Gladiators. Some might revel in the nostalgia but to me it’s a missed opportunity not to use the advancements in staging and lighting to produce something more striking. It would have been fun for instance for someone like Netflix to really chuck some money at it Physical 100 style.

I tuned in for Greg Rutherford and was delighted they popped him on first

What a GHASTLY PROGRAMME.

I only saw bits of it as I was at my mother's. I busied myself in the kitchen putting some chairs together.

How does anyone watch ITV live? I can't bear it.

Julia Sawalha is in this evenings VERA. I haven’t saw her act in anything for YEARS!

Finished Foundation S2 which had quite a satisfying season finale. I would like to watch Criminal Record with Cush Jumbo and Peter Capaldi as it has been very well received, but I have decided to cancel Apple+ for a bit to let some shows pile up.

Mayfair Witches is silly fun but not a patch on Interview with the Vampire.

I've just finished both series of The Lazarus Project on Sky/Now TV and LOVED IT. It's sci-fi but it doesn't forget to be grounded in life and actually be funny. And it's got Caroline Quentin as the cunty boss.

If it were on Apple TV+ (coz it's the type of high end genre stuff they do well) the critics and media types on twitter would be wanking into a froth about it. Although if it were on Apple TV+ I'd have not missed a whole episode due to the Now TV interface being COMPLETELY INCOMPREHENSIBLY FUCKING SHIT, so swings and roundabouts.

Also I've not watched Michael McIntyre's Big Show in years but this is delightful, for those familiar with that viral Fanny Chmelar / The Chase question -

At this moment I am watching Call The Midwife, but after that I will be watching the last episode of Fargo, before Amazon bring in the adverts tomorrow. Quite looking forward to seeing a certain character (hopefully) die painfully.

Well, well, well, some of the Jo Whiley Show shows have showed up on youtube and they're showing the whole show and not just clips. Currently watching Siouxsie:

Now to look out for MJB rolling her eyes at H and saying "we've got some bull in here" after H explains his songwriting process, and also (sadly) the look on MJB's face after watching a video of Gabrielle singing acapella. The one with Sinead O'Connor biting her toenails would also be good. Sadly the Jo Whiley Show does feature Jo Whiley, but she's kind of amusing in how desperate to look cool she is.

Five episodes down on One Day. I read the book years ago but never bothered with the much disliked film.

The leads are both likeable and the short episode running time make it very bingeable.

There’s an excellent Irish comedy-drama series on ITVX called The Dry, about a young woman who moves back in with her family as she tries to get sober. I LOVE it. Watch it Moopy, she has a gay brother! cc @Rita (for the Irish element, not the theme obv)

Also KIN series 2 is on the iPlayer for those who like cinematic Irish gangland dramas. There is also a gay brother in that

I've just started My Life With The Walter Boys on Netflix. It seems pretty good.

We've also just finished the latest series of Screw, because I love a prison drama.

Any Harlan Coben recommendations? All we've seen is Fool Me Once.

There’s an excellent Irish comedy-drama series on ITVX called The Dry, about a young woman who moves back in with her family as she tries to get sober. I LOVE it. Watch it Moopy, she has a gay brother! cc @Rita (for the Irish element, not the theme obv)

Yes I am watching this, though at broadcast pace because I don't play with ITVX. It is excellent. Very good cast and the lead was also great in The Lovers on Sky last year.

The Alan Carr sitcom must be due on ITV soon, all the other comedies they launched on ITVX have been on now. I watched Significant Other with Katherine Parkinson but abandoned a couple of the others mid first episode.

• Love
Reactions: dUb
Also KIN series 2 is on the iPlayer for those who like cinematic Irish gangland dramas. There is also a gay brother in that

I started the second series of Kin last night. I thought it looked a bit more expensive than the first, though maybe that is to do with the family's rise.

Aidan Gillen playing another character with a taste for younger men that gets him into trouble.

Just started series 1. Just HOW MANY BEAUTIFUL MEN?

• Love

I have watched The Dry dUb and LOVED IT. I am sure I read somewhere recently that a second season was in the works too. Eamon from series 1 of Kin plays the leads father.

I think the next one I am going to try and watch is Love/Hate. Have you watched that one? I have heard it is similar to Kin but grittier. :o

• Love
I started the second series of Kin last night. I thought it looked a bit more expensive than the first, though maybe that is to do with the family's rise.

Aidan Gillen playing another character with a taste for younger men that gets him into trouble.

I think I enjoyed season 2 even more than season 1. Bren is a REAL PIECE OF WORK.

I recently watched Last One Laughing Australia, Ireland and Canada on Prime.

The Irish one was by far the best. The Australian one was absolute filth and the Canadian one quite low key, although the winner donated their winnings to a trans charity.

I have watched The Dry dUb and LOVED IT. I am sure I read somewhere recently that a second season was in the works too. Eamon from series 1 of Kin plays the leads father.

I think the next one I am going to try and watch is Love/Hate. Have you watched that one? I have heard it is similar to Kin but grittier. :o
Ooh I’ve seen season 2 through work! It’s brilliant, even better than the first

Shiv has a new love interest… Viking from Kin :D:horny:

Never watched Love/Hate as I think I was living in England during its run. People LOVE it here.

Last edited:
I don’t watch much TV but have recently started ‘Griselda’ (Sofia Vergara plays the infamous drug lord) and a Portuguese drugs related drama ‘Rabo de Peixe’ (Turn of the Tide if searching in English) on Netflix and quite enjoying both.

Last Stop Larrimah, a documentary on Netflix about a disappearance in an Australian town of 11 residents. Refreshingly only two parts (it looks like it was released as a film as well) and a remarkable group of 'eccentrics'.

Just started Justified: City Primeval on Disney+. I always enjoyed the original series and Timothy Olyphant remains very watchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom