Worst Places to Live + derelict buildings + other fascinating urban architecture + brutalism

As much as I love me some concrete, I have always truly hated this former council block (Keeling House), which is just off Hackney Road. They’ve now refurbished it - it’s Grade II listed for some inexplicable reason - but quite honestly I wish they’d just bulldozed it when they had the chance. There’s just something about it...

a615372bddcde2ff520599855a70d9b2.jpg
My uncle used to live there! Very pricey apartments up top, and you still get the odd local murder :disco:

An FB friend has just posted this because it looks (and apparently sounds) like a horror film today :disco: (not sure where she lives, somewhere Sarf London)

101378998_10156974646187251_5817773153664892928_n.jpg

OMG it's part of a science lab and used to have a particle accelerator in it. Obsessed now

Reminds me of Cheese lane shot tower from 1969 here, which I believe is grade II listed.

shottowerbristol2.jpg

I also love this abandoned water tower here in a similar vein.

CqTFYXDWEAQDQne.jpg

has a giant Victorian water tower slap bang in the middle of the town centre. Not a brutalised masterpiece but a curio nonetheless. I think I was quite old when I realised this isn't normal.

1280px-Jumbo_Water_Tower%2C_Colchester%2C_Essex%2C_UK_photographed_by_Ritchie_Hicks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GNL
We've got a lovely Victorian one here as well. In a residential area, but right at the top of one of the city's many hills, so you can see it from most of the south of the city.

P157944.jpg

As a Kent-raised bitch I have to love a Martello Tower as well. Fuck knows why they built a car park around this one.

5918393_731f6413.jpg

Reactions: GNL
Actually, just google image searching that, and I think water towers could warrant an entirely separate discussion. Look at these beauties!

Devon

2899135_bc7822df.jpg

Buckinghamshire

cd8f530e-7c8e-416c-aa22-07331f04e42d.JPG

Doncaster

3825924_f33b577d.jpg

On the opposite scale of concreteopia, here’s the Norton water tower - a more classical structure on the opposite hill. I lived between the water tower and the science lab.

1920px-Norton_Water_Tower.jpg

Oh no it was Doncaster Sheffield which was strangely called Doncaster Robin Hood Airport for a while. Give over.

I feel a bit SORRY for Doncaster Airport, East Midlands is just down the road and 10x better in every SHAPE and FORM.

Let's have 'the crooked house' in Sopot, Poland. Genuinely makes me feel kind of seasick looking at it.

Krzywy-Domek-Crooked-House_1.jpg

I was dragged to the Dancing House by a friend, we stayed for about a minute, he took a pic and left. It's seriously unimpressive up close (and when it's a miserable November morning and you're hungover and stuck having an awkward conversation with his German boyfriend who just keeps saying he doesn't like 'this kind of things') or so I hear.

You need to do a Google image search to really appreciate it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom