Eurovision 2021 News

Most likely scenario?

• Total voters
I think that’s TECHNICALLY the rule in Melodifestivalen too but I’d imagine it isn’t enforced as strongly (see Army of Lovers).

Reactions: D5K
They do seem to be taking this aspect seriously

Are there requirements for the content of the backing track?

The backing track cannot contain Lead Vocals, Lead Dubs and/or any other vocals that would have the effect of, or aim at, replacing or unduly assisting the Lead Vocals during the live performance on stage.
You're right that they say that, I just hope it works that way in practice. This won't be black or white either way so may be harder to enforce; what about situations where you have a main singer and five backing singers singing a chorus? Could the live "lead vocalist" just not both, which is what happens half the time in melfest? Or are these rules much strciter than in Sweden?

You just know Azerbaijan will be the first to push the interpretation of this rule to breaking point. :D

You're right that they say that, I just hope it works that way in practice. This won't be black or white either way so may be harder to enforce; what about situations where you have a main singer and five backing singers singing a chorus? Could the live "lead vocalist" just not both, which is what happens half the time in melfest? Or are these rules much strciter than in Sweden?

In Sweden, any time you hear another mysterious voice in the chorus singing the melody along with the lead singer, that is a live backstage vocalist.

That’s something that can be (and still is) done when all vocals have to be live. There’s very little trickery that can be done with recorded vocals that can’t also be done with live vocals, this just frees the acts up more.

I don't have a huge problem with the BV change, but it absolutely will be taken advantage of. You only have to look at Azerbaijan 2016, Bulgaria 2018 and Azerbaijan 2019 to see that you can already mask a so-so lead live vocal with an off-stage BV.

They'll turn the pre-recorded BVs up in the mix up to 100, a few hardcore fans will get the arse over it and then they'll move on to the next drama.

Reactions: dUb
I don’t think many (any?) national finals still insist on 100% live vocals.

I did love at Melfest this year when Melanie, Patrik and Stran came on towards the end of The Mamas' final reprise pretending to give it some WELLY.

Listen, killar och dockor, that perfectly-layered gospel choir the three of you are lipping along to isn't going to wash with ANYONE.

Bad news for fans of hot but boring French people, Tom Leeb has confirmed he won’t be back next year.

The 4 scenarios they're working to.

Nice to hear from SEXY SIETSE as well

Option B most likely do we reckon?

You have a point Alla bbz but I think those questions and concerns are redundant at this stage. One of the 4 options above is definitely happening.

I reckon Option C but hopefully with the at-home performances applying to as few countries as possible, so it will be fairly close to B.

Hopefully option B, good to know they’re prepared no matter what though.

I understand why it is necessary but it worries me that they will have to make the decision in early 2021. Just depressing because you would hope that the situation in May will be much better than in January.

Yeah but also if it is worse case scenario option D it gives the countries time to set up their local stages and production, not everyone last year had the chance to knock out as something as iconic as the Fai Rumore in the colleseum or Samanta Tina’s mythical rooftop performance.

I would say get all the artists there at the very least - in the same arena to perform (or if it is without an audience, a TV studio). That should be relatively easy to do and ensure they are all shielded. Sacrifice the studio audience if necessary. It isn’t perfect but I think that is better than remote link-ups to the artists.

They could even replicate crowd noise, like the football, with well-timed jeers in the right places.

Last edited:
Option C doesn't sound entirely fair to me, I think whether the artists are on the arena stage or at home performing remotely should be an 'all or nothing' type of thing. But that's my view if it's roughly a 50/50 split, no point forcing everyone to stay home if only a couple of countries are unable to make the trip (say Australia and Israel for instance)

I think that’s TECHNICALLY the rule in Melodifestivalen too but I’d imagine it isn’t enforced as strongly (see Army of Lovers).

How dare you. That was ALL LIVE* and yes I think we should and also yes we’re uncancelling Alexander Bard for the moment, such is the extent of our DESPERATE DISEASED HOURS

https://youtu.be/evJPfngo1b8
NA NA NA NA NA NA :disco:

*:tongueout:

I’ve been having a LITTLE LOOK around the internet this morning and apparently the U.K. is the only country that’s not confirmed participation :o (and Belarus too but I can hardly see them taking part in the CURRENT CLIMATE).

Belarus will probably enter if they can. The whole gig's under the government's control, so it'd really just be a matter of whether any artists were willing.

Imagine the gag if the BBC withdraw the year they (probably) don't need to pay for flights + hotel, and the year after a Eurovision song has actually touched the Radio 1 playlist and been used on Strictly :D

41 Countries participating. Same list as last year, Montenegro and Hungary still sitting out for the time being.

Belarus still being in is going to be profoundly icky.

Participating broadcasters
The following countries (and EBU Member broadcasters) will participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 in Rotterdam:

• Albania (RTSH)

• Armenia (AMPTV)

• Australia (SBS)*

• Austria (ORF)

• Azerbaijan (Ictimai TV)

• Belarus (BTRC)

• Belgium (VRT)

• Bulgaria (BNT)

• Croatia (HRT)

• Cyprus (CyBC)

• Czech Republic (CT)

• Denmark (DR)

• Estonia (ERR)

• Finland (YLE)

• France (FT)

• Germany (ARD/NDR)

• Georgia (GPB)

• Greece (ERT)

• Iceland (RUV)

• Ireland (RTE)

• Israel (KAN)

• Italy (RAI)

• Latvia (LTV)

• Lithuania (LRT)

• Malta (PBS)

• Moldova (TRM)

• The Netherlands (AVROTROS)

• North Macedonia (MKRTV)

• Norway (NRK)

• Poland (TVP)

• Portugal (RTP)

• Romania (TVR)

• Russia (Channel One)

• San Marino (RTV)

• Serbia (RTS)

• Slovenia (RTVSLO)

• Spain (TVE)

• Sweden (SVT)

• Switzerland (SRG SSR)

• Ukraine (UA:PBC)

• United Kingdom (BBC)
https://eurovision.tv/story/41-countries-to-participate-at-eurovision-2021

Also completely here for another I Love Belarus-esque entry!

I do wonder if Belarus will go full crazy nationalist or, more likely, be completely brazen and send some kind of 'What If'-esque peace ballad.

They better hope for a socially distanced audience in either event because I can imagine the booing to be next level under normal circumstances.

I hope for lots of AUDIENCE SHOTS regardless :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom