Eurovision 2021: The Rehearsals

I enjoy her. I hated last years song, but I kinda find myself squawking along with this.

Malta

Very fun, colourful staging. Lots of neon, with Destiny in a pink frilly dress.

Vocally incredible even at this stage. But the choreo needs tightening up and it feels a touch... uneventful?

Bags of potential, but not there yet.

Second Malta run-through was tighter, as you'd expect.

They're currently obscuring her face in shadow for the 'Excuse my french' quip though, which is MADNESS!

Not that she needs it herself, but this is the performance where I REALLY noticed the new Melfest-esque pre-recorded backing vocals too...

Malta is exceedingly pink.

Last edited:
REVISED PREDICTIONS following first rehearsals, in order of likelihood:

SAILING THROUGH:
Cyprus
Lithuania
Malta
Russia
Sweden

MOST LIKELY QUALIFYING:
Ukraine
Slovenia
Azerbaijan
Norway

COULD GO EITHER WAY:
Croatia
Israel
Romania

LIKELY NQ:
Australia
North Macedonia
Ireland
Belgium

- Cyprus, Slovenia and Russia clear gainers, with Lithuania slightly losing fan-hype due to familiarity of performance but that's certainly NO BAD THING in regards to the general public, as it's a great and memorable perf.
- Malta seemingly being just...fine, and not SMASHING IT as a total package (as yet) potentially opens up the field a little bit.
- Literally cannot see who is going to vote for Ireland aside from Irish diaspora in such a strong semi. They'd have been better whacking out a guitar and turning it into a Coldplay-style singalong than whatever it's...currently meant to be.
- From the clip along, Belgium look absolutely HARROWING! and unless your name is Anastasiya Prikhodko that's not really a GOOD THING!

Last edited:
I'm not planning to watch any rehearsal footage so that I'm surprised on the night, but I'm astonished that Russia's position is improving. The song was flat out appalling.

Reactions: D5K
Wouldn’t be a big surprise, it’s the same staging director.
Even so I thought they'd have more than one idea, as it's not coming off well in comparison to El Diablo at the moment.

Ok so my REVISED predictions:

Safe qualifiers
1. Malta
2. Cyprus
3. Lithuania
4. Sweden
5. Ukraine
6. Russia

Likely in
7. Croatia
8. Belgium - I think this is really helped being surrounded by two semi-decent bops. There’s not a lot they could do with the staging but I think it stands out compared to everything else is in the mix, in the sense that it’s a simple performance surrounded by a lot of fast paced and demanding performances. I think the juries will eat it up but the televote could prove difficult.

Just making it
9. Norway - I think a mix of a decent jury score + vote grabbing outfit will still see it through.
10. Ireland - I think the second rehearsal will be crucial and there’s a LOT that could go wrong but it is memorable at least and they’re trying something a bit different.

Just missing out
11. Israel - a second rate Croatia with a not too memorable performance
12. Azerbaijan - just another basic banger that will get lost in the mix, this really needed a kitchen sink stage show.
13. Romania

Not a chance
14. North Macedonia
15. Slovenia
16. Australia

I’m really starting to come round to the idea of Cyprus winning the semi. It’s HEAD AND SHOULDERS (tehehe) above the rest!

For me there's a clear top seven, and after that things get very dicey.

SAFE
Cyprus
Malta
Lithuania
Russia
Sweden

LIKELY
Ukraine
Israel

ON THE BUBBLE

Azerbaijan
Croatia
Ireland
----
Romania
Slovenia
Norway

UNLIKELY

Belgium
Australia
North Macedonia

Reactions: dUb
Wouldn’t be a big surprise, it’s the same staging director.
They’re a bit of a one-trick pony I think.

Maybe a tad overrated in ESC circles as well. A bit like that Dutch stage director who did Calm After The Storm. He was hyped up to the max and then delievered that Trijntje black widow performace.

If Slovenia were on near the end I'd have them down as a strong shot at qualifying.

A song that boring from second, though? It'll REALLY need a big jury uplift. Not out of the question, though.

Press poll results for day two...

PRESS-POLL-DAY2.png

Maybe I should have actually WATCHED Belgium before writing them off :basil:

Would be thrilled if they did slip through, I love the song.

Maybe I should have actually WATCHED Belgium before writing them off :basil:

Would be thrilled if they did slip through, I love the song.
This post is very

B738778F-A457-40E9-9EB4-BB72A0C233A7.jpeg

:D

• Haha
Reactions: VoR
Hmmm... Malta.

I try not to fall into the trap of attacking the favourite after their rehearsal...

EDIT: So I’m not going to, yet. But suffice to say I’m concerned.

She just gave a not-mindblowing rehearsal. I don't think it's any cause for concern at this stage. There's nothing wrong that they can't fix. Malta are known for doing a lot of work in between rehearsals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom