Melodifestivalen 2020: Deltävling Three - Luleå

Melodifestivalen is light years ahead of all other national finals bar Italy, Lithuania and sometimes Ukraine. It is high excellence in its field to the extent where I don’t understand how you can be a Eurovision fan and not follow and enjoy Melodifestivalen.

Exactly, you only have to look at the quality of MGP this year which expanded to 25 songs and you can clearly see that they don’t have the quality there. They made a fairly decent final but there was some absolute tripe in the semi final.

Not every song in MF is a classic but usually most of them are fairly decent.

I wouldn’t count Italy as a national final, Ukraine is fun and thinks outside the box and Lithuania can be hit or miss.

UMK is decent this year but then again it’s only 6 songs. Who knows what it would be like if they expanded it.

Melodifestivalen is light years ahead of all other national finals bar Italy, Lithuania and sometimes Ukraine. It is high excellence in its field to the extent where I don’t understand how you can be a Eurovision fan and not follow and enjoy Melodifestivalen.
but where are your reaction videos this year tho

Exactly, you only have to look at the quality of MGP this year which expanded to 25 songs and you can clearly see that they don’t have the quality there. They made a fairly decent final but there was some absolute tripe in the semi final.
The other preselections being shit doesn't make MF a fantastic one by default :rolleyes: and it makes no sense to compare it with them, dear Kala. I compare it with previous years, I still play LOTS of songs from the golden era, but even when the songs are still "decent" and the live show is very good, most of them from these last years are forgettable IMO.

We're TWO HEATS IN IT'S HARDLY 2013 FFS :D

I thought that was a DECENT year actually with the likes of Paris, Porslin, Dead Fish, Island etc which I still play every now and then. And Janet Leon had two of the best pop songs that year.

The other preselections being shit doesn't make MF a fantastic one by default :rolleyes: and it makes no sense to compare it with them, dear Kala. I compare it with previous years, I still play LOTS of songs from the golden era, but even when the songs are still "decent" and the live show is very good, most of them from these last years are forgettable IMO.
Yeah, but you're comparing it with the best of each year (and after having the time to sift through the growers), when a. this year isn't finished yet and b. when the filler of this year is much more prominent in your memory.

ANYWAY, it's more obvious with each passing year that SVT are clearly working to fit a set formula of established demographic groups and song categories, rather than pick 28 of the best songs submitted. It's really noticeable these days e.g.

Pretty young male with pop song
Something for the over 60s
Schlager has-been
A copy of some contemporary hit
Generic urban tat for the YOOF

I'll all for diversity and having an ecclectic mix but not when it ends up with a load of medicore tat. There have been occassions when SVT have been quite open about searching for specific types of artist/song etc in order to meet their quota. The result is that we get a contest full of OVÖs and OLIVIA ELIASSONs.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you're comparing it with the best of each year (and after having the time to sift through the growers), when a. this year isn't finished yet and b. when the filler of this year is much more prominent in your memory.
But I'm not talking only about this year. And I'm not saying the songs are shit, just not memorable. The most recent track I really REALLY love is Party voice (2 years ago), when I still play lots of songs that didn't even make it to the final in the good old years and are just fantastic (Smiling in love anyone?). Maybe it's just me getting old, who knows. :side-eye:

ANYWAY, it's more obvious with each passing year that SVT are clearly working to fit a set formula of established demographic groups and song categories, rather than pick 28 of the best songs submitted. It's really noticeable these days e.g.

Pretty young male with pop song
Something for the over 60s
Schlager has-been
A copy of some contempory hit
Generic urban tat for the YOOF

I'll all for diversity and having an ecclectic mix but not when it ends up with a load of medicore tat. There have been occassions when SVT have been quite open about searching for specific types of artist/song etc in order to meet their quota. The result is that we get a contest full of OVÖs and OLIVIA ELIASSONs.

It's the biggest show on Swedish TV, they have to appeal to every demographic, so it is not surprising that they do this. Part of the appeal is the range of genres they use. Of course they're not going to select the best 28 songs, I very much doubt ANY national selection does that.

But I'm not talking only about this year. And I'm not saying the songs are shit, just not memorable. The most recent track I really REALLY love is Party voice (2 years ago), when I still play lots of songs that didn't even make it to the final in the good old years and are just fantastic (Smiling in love anyone?). Maybe it's just me getting old, who knows. :side-eye:

It probably is our tastes getting older. I mean, how much music do you play that's in the charts now compared to 10-14 years ago?

Just saw this, apologies for being out of sequence. I still play a lot of stuff from years ago, but don't forget there was loads of SHIT back then too - Sheida? Kwanzaa? Addis Black Widow? :D

It's the biggest show on Swedish TV, they have to appeal to every demographic, so it is not surprising that they do this. Part of the appeal is the range of genres they use. Of course they're not going to select the best 28 songs, I very much doubt ANY national selection does that.

I do understand that but who is CHARLOTTE PERRELLI WITH A GUITAR or LOCAL NOBODY WITH RE-HASH OF 'ROLLING IN THE DEEP' appealing to exactly?

Just saw this, apologies for being out of sequence. I still play a lot of stuff from years ago, but don't forget there was loads of SHIT back then too - Sheida? Kwanzaa? Addis Black Widow? :D
I'm not saying every song back then was great. Never mind!

in the good old years and are just fantastic (Smiling in love anyone?).

Ah yes, 2008, the good old years. Who could forget such classics like Alla Gamla X, That’s Love, Lullaby, Kebabpizza Slivovitza, Izdacije, For Manga Ord Om Karlek, If I Could, Ingen Mar Sa Bra Som Jag, Visst Finns Mirakel...

Line of Fire is one of the greatest songs I have ever heard!

As a former mega fan who now doesn't really give a shit, I half agree with both sides of this argument. Yes, the glory years were, for me, 2001-2012. I remember being at the 2013 final and just thinking it was a poor year, but I've never really recovered from that. There's been some great moments since then, absolutely, but for me, the whole spark had gone as, in agreement with Alla, song quality HAS dipped overall.

But absolutely, there is an element of trying to appeal to a younger audience and make modern pop songs- which don't necessarily have the melodical structure, strong chorus and, let's face it, key changes that I want from the Melodifestivalen. Thing is, I agree that that has to happen. As much as I'd love a whole evening of Linda, Alcazar, Lena et al having a bash at ridiculous camp pop songs, we're in a world where that just isn't as popular or fashionable as it once was. And that's ok. We still get the odd gem (though this year has been MEH so far from what I've seen) and I think that's all we can ask for. The MF needed to diversify and appeal to everyone and it seems to be doing the job. It's just not finding what is popular at Eurovision at the moment...

It’s been a great year so far. We’re lacking a Statements at this point though each listen I’m stanning DOTTERS hot mess more and more!

I thought that was a DECENT year actually with the likes of Paris, Porslin, Dead Fish, Island etc which I still play every now and then. And Janet Leon had two of the best pop songs that year.
Don’t forget when dirty mirrors chased Amanda Fondell across the arena. It was a spectacular popification of a 80’s horror show!

As a former mega fan who now doesn't really give a shit, I half agree with both sides of this argument. Yes, the glory years were, for me, 2001-2012. I remember being at the 2013 final and just thinking it was a poor year, but I've never really recovered from that. There's been some great moments since then, absolutely, but for me, the whole spark had gone as, in agreement with Alla, song quality HAS dipped overall.

But absolutely, there is an element of trying to appeal to a younger audience and make modern pop songs- which don't necessarily have the melodical structure, strong chorus and, let's face it, key changes that I want from the Melodifestivalen. Thing is, I agree that that has to happen. As much as I'd love a whole evening of Linda, Alcazar, Lena et al having a bash at ridiculous camp pop songs, we're in a world where that just isn't as popular or fashionable as it once was. And that's ok. We still get the odd gem (though this year has been MEH so far from what I've seen) and I think that's all we can ask for. The MF needed to diversify and appeal to everyone and it seems to be doing the job. It's just not finding what is popular at Eurovision at the moment...

I agree with this pretty much. I just wish there were one or two more stand out moments, there's been a handful of great songs in the past few years and the final usually winds up being strong on the whole but I can't think of the last time a song got all the gays particularly EXCITED. The show would benefit from a Spirit In The Sky kind of moment or something that stands out from just solely being radio-friendly only. I think pop can be more exciting in 2020 than Melodifestivalen would make it seem.

I do really love Kingdom Come though, would love to see it be a huge success for Anna.

"Kingdom Come" is my favourite this year, but I preferred "Ashes to Ashes" really.

Kingdom Come is joyful. I’m here for Dr Anna winning.

From the snippets I’m assuming Mohombi and Mariette are a fairly safe bet for DTF.
Maybe Drangarna and Annis for AC.
Faith’s song sounds like a female Bishara, and I obviously want no part of that.

This is a STRONG heat, every song floats my boat in some way.

Based on the snippets:

1. Faith - lyrics are great - plot twist - I don’t deserve them
2. Mohombi - love the melancholy
3. Drängarna - spirit of Timoteij
4. Amanda - the quieter eviler sister to I Love It
5. Mariette - not the real music disaster I feared. Very fragile verses and the chorus would sound insincere in the hands of many others, as it is it is like a HUG
6. Amis - fun4sweden
7. Albin - this week’s boy with emotions has at least got a minor key

Relieved at the Mariette clip. It’s no A Million Years, but I think I’m going to enjoy it a lot more than For You, which makes me angrier every time I think about it.

Faith has bitterly disappointed me. I like it less with each listen.
Drangarna quite clearly my favourite, Amanda was a nice surprise, Mariette, Mahombi and Anis will all definitely make their way onto my playlist as well.

I've heard rumours Mariette is performing with a GUITAR so I wouldn't set your expectations too highly.
Bild-2020-02-13-kl.-14.41.26-1024x641.jpg

Amanda's song sounds lovely :o

Nothing else really stood out for me

Last edited:
Based on the clips, Mohombi is sailing through this round

This is certainly one of the weakest heats in the modern era. Everything is just so beige - the rest of Europe looks to Sweden for instant hooks and melodies, and there’s not a single one this week.

Given that Dr. Anna had over 40% of the vote on Aftonbladet after the show last week, I’d say she’s got no competition so far. Hanna Ferm better have a convincing ballad to win over the public.

I really like the sound of Late to be honest. Anna and Dotter remain the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom