Name a CAREER KILLING album

Eternalselftitled.jpg
I think this wins. Others mentioned still had albums that charted pretty well or continued to work in music and play to audiences. This was a case of bombing after four pretty massive albums and being TOTALLY bounced out of the music industry afterwards.

This is a strange one. This album was coming off the back of a #4 and #1 album and the first single was top 30 but the UK record label didn’t bother releasing it. It got a limited release in some countries and fared well enough but effectively this ended the band.

16F40D9B-6A19-4794-B4CA-39EE9646A91B.jpeg

Rock Steady was a decent hit at the time considering they'd been away so long. I think the problem was that Chick Fit was a dire second single choice. They needed a strong ballad to appeal to their core demographic, rather than rather naff attempts at sounding hip.

Unfortunately as I recall, there wasn't much to go on. Maybe On & On would have done a bit better.

81czROJV19L._SX425_.jpg

Final nail in her chart coffin.
If they’d have stuck with the original idea of the album it might have stretched out her career a bit longer.

Not releasing Love Never Loved Me as a single is one is the most idiotic decisions a popstar has ever made.

Reactions: GNL
Rock Steady was a decent hit at the time considering they'd been away so long. I think the problem was that Chick Fit was a dire second single choice. They needed a strong ballad to appeal to their core demographic, rather than rather naff attempts at sounding hip.

Unfortunately as I recall, there wasn't much to go on. Maybe On & On would have done a bit better.

TBF the album had been and gone by then anyway. It actually did 12k in its first week, which would normally be about #14 back then, but releasing in the Xmas rush meant it charted dreadfully which then just left such a bad mark there was no coming back.

They should’ve released in a quieter period or perhaps had two big hits ready to go pre-album to ensure casual buyers would invest in a full album off the bat.

91m+zuuM-XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Might sound like a strange call for a #1, million-selling album but it sold about a quarter of its predecessor and their sales never recovered. They would carry on playing the big venues to people who wanted to hear songs from their first 2 years but they would never shift units in the same way again.

I was going to say "Head Music" - it sold well enough to start with but word soon spread it was a donkey. A New Morning suffered from that, as well as being as limp as Jacob Rees-Mogg's bromide-ridden cock
Head Music was not a career killer per se - it still produced some hits and I must admit I do like some of the album tracks like 'He's Gone'.
A New Morning was just crap and they were clearly not interested anymore.
But you're right about Head Music generally. It was the start of the rot setting in and the behind-the-scenes documentary as part of the deluxe reissues with Brett cracked out of his skull (by his own admission retrospectively) further prove that.

91m+zuuM-XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Might sound like a strange call for a #1, million-selling album but it sold about a quarter of its predecessor and their sales never recovered. They would carry on playing the big venues to people who wanted to hear songs from their first 2 years but they would never shift units in the same way again.
Unfortunately there is already a revisionist tiny corner of the interwebs trying to say this album was underrated :basil:

Natasha_Bedingfield_N_B.jpg

For the UK anyway. I guess it was the single, and I nearly see where they were going with the ‘see, I’m still quickly and relatable!’ angle. But it sure as shit did not pay off.

Brett himself has pretty much disowned A New Morning. Occasionally I do like it when he performs 'Obsessions' acoustically at their live sets though.

61PxsMHaxFL._UX500_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg

OK lambily hear me out - of course it didn't kill her career, although at the time it certainly looked like it would.

Natasha_Bedingfield_N_B.jpg

For the UK anyway. I guess it was the single, and I nearly see where they were going with the ‘see, I’m still quickly and relatable!’ angle. But it sure as shit did not pay off.

Just realised what this cover reminds me of

:basil:

Carnivalridebandalbum.jpg

Just when big guitars were getting popular, in come Ride with some paisley rugs, some patchouli oil and a hippy vibe that no-one wanted. Plus, half the songs were guff.
By the time their next album came out, they'd already fallen apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom