Name a CAREER KILLING album

This has to be one of the most dramatic cases of stardom to massive flop overnight. Going solo after being half of one of the most succesful duos of the 80s, with a debut single that stalls at #58 and an album that didn't even chart. Ouch!

andrew-ridgeley-son-of-albert-1.jpg

I laugh at this anytime I see it come up. I loved Geri too, but this song would never have saved her fledgling pop career. She was sinking, and Molly Brown or this dated hit could never have saved her.

Bang on. There wasn’t much more uncool things than a solo Spice Girl around this time, and the only reason they scored the occasional top ten single was due to the market being so small at the time. Her last album had bombed as well, so I see no world where the Passion album ever becomes something of a success.

She was on a high at the start of the noughties, with 'Rise' and the album it featured on. And then 'Out of reach' from Bridget Jones's soundtrack... but who can hum anything from this?:

220px-Cd_gabrielle_play_to_win.PNG

I hated this (the cover was just revolting) AND Head Music despite having previously been quite the avid Suedette. So horribly disappointing and I especially despised She’s In Fashion. Mercifully they atoned for these sins with the quality of their latter day resurgence (especially The Blue Hour), which reminds me that I’ve yet to investigate that recent album :disco:

I think the signs were there it wasn’t going to do great when ‘Whatcha Gonna Do’ peaked at #16 (out peaked by Kelle’s ‘Higher Than Heaven’ a couple of weeks before) but how hard it flopped was a surprise for sure. I remember the HMV beside where I worked at the time had a full window poster of the album cover so obviously there must’ve been some sort of expectations.
Don’t tell Easyjet and Vernie but first week sales figures for #16 hit What’cha Gonna Do we’re higher than those for #14 hit Higher Than Heaven…

This reminds me of when I used to work in Virgin Megastore. For some bizarre reason, we had about 100 copies of this album on MINI DISC. I mean, who would distribute that to one store and WHY?

There is one copy of this currently available on Discogs for a piffling €129.31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom