Name a CAREER KILLING album

Pre-emptive entry :basil:

1667575869576.png

Is
I wonder how his album will do? I think first week sales may be decent, if only because he's had it on pre-order since before the subsequent singles flopped. Not sure how competitive his release week is, though.

And I don't see it hanging around long, either.

Quite unfair for poor Martine. Two top ten singles from it, plus despite it missing the top 20 it was released in the huge Xmas 2000 period and shifted about 200k From memory. I guess the perception of its success did more damage.

I think this wins. Others mentioned still had albums that charted pretty well or continued to work in music and play to audiences. This was a case of bombing after four pretty massive albums and being TOTALLY bounced out of the music industry afterwards.
They must have burned a lot of bridges to be given no second chance. That being said, there are disappointments and then there are astronomic flops like this (plus it is a horrible album). Did we see it coming at the time?

Kéllé must have been dancing on her dining table all Sunday afternoon when the charts were announced

Last edited:
They must have burned a lot of bridges to be given no second chance. That being said, there are disappointments and then there are astronomic flops like this (plus it is a horrible album). Did we see it coming at the time?

Kéllé must have been dancing on her dining table all Sunday afternoon when the charts were announced
I think the signs were there it wasn’t going to do great when ‘Whatcha Gonna Do’ peaked at #16 (out peaked by Kelle’s ‘Higher Than Heaven’ a couple of weeks before) but how hard it flopped was a surprise for sure. I remember the HMV beside where I worked at the time had a full window poster of the album cover so obviously there must’ve been some sort of expectations.

I do remember her being rather HYPED, and then this album doing nothing. I think she waited too long to release it. It was all about Clay Aiken by then :eyes:
She did write Fantasia's number one hit winning song "I Believe". Wonder if that was from a shelved single for Tamyra originally. :eyes:

Brett himself has pretty much disowned A New Morning. Occasionally I do like it when he performs 'Obsessions' acoustically at their live sets though.
I was a huge fan until then but only liked Astrogirl from this album

TBH a lot of these are just 'pop stars inevitably running out of commercial juice' rather than career killers.

I'd say the Duffy, Anastacia and Eternal albums would genuinely fit the bill of albums that actively harmed the artists' career simply by virtue of being very bad.

I tried the fourth Eternal album again the other night and Jesus Christ, who A&R'd it? Utter gash.

Wasn’t that a US number one? And after all the Dr Luke stuff? I’d say that isn’t quite what fits the bill…

I think it was more a natural decline than anything. She hadn’t had a hit album since 2010. The one before it did modestly well because of the hype for her return, but I don’t think anyone could have expected The High Road to do better than it did.

Last edited:
Oh it was the album after the comeback, my bad. But I still don’t think that was a career killer in any way.

"rainbow" was kesha's big change of music direction her sound. it was grammy nominated and then "the high road" followed and quite failed a lot of people didn't go for it (me included) so yes I think that's a fail that album had no promotion and if you give it a fair listening the genre is all over the place.. it was ten steps backwards following "rainbow"

If they’d have stuck with the original idea of the album it might have stretched out her career a bit longer.

Not releasing Love Never Loved Me as a single is one is the most idiotic decisions a popstar has ever made.

I laugh at this anytime I see it come up. I loved Geri too, but this song would never have saved her fledgling pop career. She was sinking, and Molly Brown or this dated hit could never have saved her.

this song would never have saved her fledgling pop career.
She was six years into her solo career by this point and if you add in the years she spent as a Spice Girl - she was one year short of a decade of successful UK charting releases. That isn't "fledgling".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom