New Music Fridays 2023

This song has started to really blow up and I really don't care for it that much... but the Franky Wah remix has TRANSFORMED it :disco:

This is lovely. @dUb is this the band you like?

LÉON back with another fun pop ditty

The LÉON song is great - feels like a step back in the right direction.

Becky Hill is not an actual person.

OMG I was looking at her discography last night to see how many I could hum (not many) and it just made me think, is she a studio creation?

She genuinely sounds like the name of a girl who brought a litre of vodka to the school disco, vomited over a teacher and had to be sent home early as in 'OMG can you believe what Becky Hill did....'

this one from the new Burna Boy album (which is really strong across the board) is just GREAT! it's soooo 90s.

@funky I feel you'll love.

What a SHIT of a week. Hardly anything interesting from my radar this week. The new Jorja Smith is fantasic though and the album is shaping up nicely. Sound like something H.E.R. would do, very retro and anthemic

Jorja's new material definitely feels more diverse and interesting than her first album.

I agree this week offers slim pickings outside of the obvious, so some favourites from the last couple of weeks...

Probably a bit late now summer is well and truly done with but a tune all the same:

The groove and the vocal layers:

Side project from half of The Knocks:

I haven't listened to the album yet but the singles have been great, this included:

Very interested in the Say She She album, not heard that new one, I'm still digesting the rather fabulous Astral Plane which I wanted to submit for Discovision but was worried it was a bit plodding for the audience. I love the late 70s influences they have though

James Blake is back on the experimental dance side of things and this is a real return to form - full album out now

new Purple Disco Machine bangs, but two in a row with male vox? homophobea.

immediately the best Baby Queen in a while

Something On My Mind is wonderful. Always enjoy a bit of an indie dance throwback.

PDM rarely fails, even if this year's offerings have maybe just been a slight step down from the last era, up to this point at least.

Also loved the previous Dumont single.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sade may have been on the mood board for this one:

Holiday Sidewinder is back on a yacht groove:

A late, late summer franglais tune from Charlotte Cardin:

The new Cerrone features RHODES, who I don't really follow, but there are some very Will Young uptempo moments here:

Oh you beat me to it with Majid Jordan one. It’s a total Sade ripoff but I actually love it and his best for a while. Any Sade fans missing her new music should consider that a good fill in.

Also I do follow Rhodes and I’ve already saved that track and plan to explore it more: interesting collab and could be a keeper

Speaking of Sade, this is actually a very good remix, and seems to be somewhat official seeing as it’s on Spotify and she’s namechecked.

I only listened once to the Majid Jordan song but found it super disappointing :( very bland. I'll have to try again

New NIMMO collaboration. They've been quiet, hopefully more new material is on the way. I do love the lead singer's voice:

Samantha Urbani has an album out this week. The previous singles have been solid but not up there with the best of her EP from years ago. I really like Time Keeps Slipping, it has a bit of funk in its baseline:

Slightly melancholy woozy sounding synthpop:

Little Dragon have just released a trippy fairytale and I like it:

WHAT A WEEK for me as we have new albums from Bev Knight, Lany, Leisure, LP, Karen Harding, Jorja Smith, a Brand New Heavies greatest hits which includes some long lost remixes :disco: and my FAVE Cleo Sol has just dropped a second album in as many weeks. HEAD OFFICIALLY SPUN.

In addition, we have new TDCC

and new Franc Moody

The Karen Harding album feels like a bit of a cobbled together mop up (hello the best part of a decade old Say Something) but it is an enjoyable listen. I'd like her to maybe go further with the more mellow material, as her voice really shines there.

The Say She She album is also out this week but I haven’t got to that yet.

Oh I didn’t know the SSS album was out too! Another one for the list, I’m glad I’m going away next week as I don’t know how I’d fit all this listenage in..

Not Kim getting the big fat ridiculous sample treatment. Near the top of New Music Friday France which feels appropriate:

:disco:

I'm a week behind but this is easily Jazzy's best effort to date, what a chorus!

Also from last week, I've only listened once but this sounds like a wonderful album and very moopy adjacent. Lots of late 70s / early 80s influences from ABBA, Chic, Anita Ward, Donna Summer, Patrice Rushen, Randy Crawford, Shalamar and Rose Royce :disco:

Also from last week, I've only listened once but this sounds like a wonderful album and very moopy adjacent. Lots of late 70s / early 80s influences from ABBA, Chic, Anita Ward, Donna Summer, Patrice Rushen, Randy Crawford, Shalamar and Rose Royce :disco:

I need to go back to it but on first listen I found that my interest had waned by the end. Some very good stuff there though.

There seems to be so much out this week. Band NMF...

Bombay Bicycle Club have somehow roped in Chaka Khan and the results are excellent:

Blossoms return with a duet. They've gone independent but seem to have pivoted back very pop. I like this a lot:

The Vaccines sounding rather like The Killers:

I was expecting her motherhood album and it is very much that. She pulls it off but by Worst Mom I was looking forward to something else.

Yeah. There was nothing standout outside what we already had heard. All very lovely but nothing over a 7

Mercedes remains superb though

Have you listened yet @dUb ?

The production on this album is on point. I found some of their really early stuff quite cheap, but they're clearly working with some good producers on this record. This is polished and retro in all the right ways. Early favourites are Up 2 You, Good As Gold, Kiss N Tell, Last Night Was Good For My Soul, and Love You Inside Out :disco:

• Love
Reactions: dUb
Love it when two faves collaborate. This is great and feels like could be a real grower as well#

Got friends raving over this - I don't love it as much as I'd like to but there's a couple of standouts... definitely among the alt-dance scene of Fred Again, Overmono, Joy Anonymous, TSHA, et al.

@Jark, thoughts?

The ones I've picked out that are new are Always Get Through To You and Tell Me What You Need... I might go back to the whole album again at some point if they stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom