Ninth console generation (Xbox Series X and Playstation 5)

I’ve only bought like 6 physical games on the PS4 before switching to digital and never looked back. I try to save space these days.

I don't understand why digital games are as expensive as physical ones. It makes no sense to me.

Digital prices are purely because they can charge them.

If you don't leave near a game shop (ie MOST PEOPLE these days) and cba to wait for something to be delivered you're going to just bite the bullet and pay the digital download price.

There's few day 1 purchase games for me tbh (Shenmue 3 ASIDE :eyes:) - I'm good to wait a few months for them to suddenly HALVE in price.

I rarely buy games on release and the PS store has a ton of sales throughout the year.

I only buy games digitally if they’re majorly discounted. Otherwise they’re usually far cheaper from somewhere like Amazon.
There needs to be an alternative to the PS Store for it to become viable.

The base price of a digital game is sometimes equal if not more expensive than a physical copy. For me to buy digital they should have a much lower starting price point, so when they go on sale they truly go on sale as opposed to be being 20 quid.

I don't understand why digital games are as expensive as physical ones. It makes no sense to me.

PlayStation do it for the PS4 as a deal with the physical stores as they still provided a major source of sales for Sony at the time and didn’t want to piss them off.

Of course they’re now loving that soon they’ll be able to charge £50 for a game and take an even bigger cut (no manufacturing, distribution or store costs pawing at those price points).

I still get my most anticipated games on disc (which is why I will be buying the disc version of the PS5). I'll usually wait for a digital purchase to drop at least 50% before I treat myself

I just don’t think I get an added value with a cheap piece of plastic that will be more clutter around me. It’s not like they come with a cool manual or anything like the old days.

I just don’t think I get an added value with a cheap piece of plastic that will be more clutter around me. It’s not like they come with a cool manual or anything like the old days.
Neither do I but I finish them and sell them and make 3/4 of the money back.

I understand the instant convenience of digital and yes space is an issue but owning a physical copy also guarantees you a license in perpetuity unless your disc/cart rots, which may eventually happen but not after a few good decades. Many games, some of them classics like Daytona, Outrun 2, Marvel VS Capcom 2, etc. are not available digitally anymore because publishers can't be bothered renewing expensive licenses. So when they're gone, they're gone. To say nothing of the many incredible games that are locked in extinct systems like the Saturn or PC Engine with zero chances of being available digitally.

General public doesn't give a toss about Outrun 2, of course, so the direction of travel is towards digital inevitably. But to me the model as it is at the moment hands way too much power to the distributors (particularly on consoles where there is only one shop).

I understand the instant convenience of digital and yes space is an issue but owning a physical copy also guarantees you a license in perpetuity unless your disc/cart rots, which may eventually happen but not after a few good decades. Many games, some of them classics like Daytona, Outrun 2, Marvel VS Capcom 2, etc. are not available digitally anymore because publishers can't be bothered renewing expensive licenses. So when they're gone, they're gone. To say nothing of the many incredible games that are locked in extinct systems like the Saturn or PC Engine with zero chances of being available digitally.

General public doesn't give a toss about Outrun 2, of course, so the direction of travel is towards digital inevitably. But to me the model as it is at the moment hands way too much power to the distributors (particularly on consoles where there is only one shop).

This is a really good point actually. I still often DUST OFF my PS2 to play PS1 games that have no chance of getting ported over to the PS4 (the original Tomb Raiders, Resident Evil 2 original, Breath of Fire, Alundra, Klonoa ETC) alongside my Game Cube so I can play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

If it's a game a really care about I do generally buy it physically, perhaps not realising the above point was factored in. I generally use the PS Sales to pick up games I'm vaguely interested in at a stupid price - Shadow Of The Colossus for £7.49 was a recent hot moment.

Klonoa! I need to play that again, I started it on Wii ages ago. I could not finish the GBA game either as some kind of puzzle element completely stumped me (lord knows why i didn't think to just watch a play through on YouTube).

There's an interesting rumour going around that Microsoft are planning to scrap Xbox Live Gold in the near future, making them the only platform where you won't need to pay a monthly fee to play most games online. If this happens, it could be quite the selling point for a lot of people unsure which way to swing next generation...

Interesting, it’s always been weird to me how we’re charged for such a basic service.

anyone excited about recently announced Avowed by Obsidian for Xbox? they're so consistently good at making (classic) RPGs and I'm booed that it'll be an Xbox exclusive :( Bethesda need to fucking bring it with TES 6

OMG and Fable as well :o my brother and I played the shit out of the old ones

Black & White 2021, PLEASE!

I am looking forward to Fable a lot. Thank god they are all coming to PC as well.

I have NEVER paid for online subscriptions, I can play online on my PC for FREE thank you very much.

I can however see the future is in a NETFLIX of video games where you pay Nintendo 8 quid a month and you can "digitally own"* thousands of games that they so carefully curate :eyes:

*until you stop paying your subscription at which point your console will be as useful as a BRICK

That's sort of what MS are doing with their Game Pass service - a tenner a month and you get to download a selection of games, including a lot of new ones as soon as they launch. I'm curious to see how it'll work out for them in the long term.

I was agog to find out that the "free" games I "bought" while I had PS Plus for six months were unplayable when my subscription ended :(

Well no, the problem with Stadia is that it's all remote, right? I would imagine that proposition is a long way away from being mainstream in video games due to latency and performance issues - but yeah like COB says Game Pass is probably where it's all headed. I'm NOT a FAN but I'm also not shutting the door of my man cave completely.

I am looking forward to Fable a lot. Thank god they are all coming to PC as well.

I would love to get rigged PC but the expense is more than I can bear, especially when the PS5 will cost a fair penny too

Stadia is not the Netflix of gaming - you pay a monthly subscription which essentially covers the cost of your virtual “console” and then you pay extra for the (old and expensive) games on top of that.

There's an interesting rumour going around that Microsoft are planning to scrap Xbox Live Gold in the near future, making them the only platform where you won't need to pay a monthly fee to play most games online. If this happens, it could be quite the selling point for a lot of people unsure which way to swing next generation...

Are they not just going to intergrate it into game pass? Surprised they’d give up on it completely as I can’t actually see where their revenue is going to come from - the new console will probably be sold at a loss and the install base so low they’d not get much bZack in licensing.

My major concern with a Netflix style service is the drop in quality. If everything is going to be available for a monthly sub then why aim to make a 10/10 game when a 7/10 will do just the same?

It’ll all be great when the manufacturers are looking for their first sub but after that I’m not so sure.

For companies that will whore their games everywhere possible like Activision or Ubi, perhaps. But certainly Nintendo or Sony will have to get their killer apps as part of their offer to get people to sign up to theirs and not the competition's!

In my case I don't see myself subscribing to any model like this unless it's Nintendo's. For better or worse and despite their IMO creative staleness of the last few years, their offering is still SO DIFFERENT from the rest of the competition that they're in a class of their own.

Doesn’t the PS have something like a Netflix service. It’s mostly older games but you get a whole bunch of them.

Well they have PSN+ or whatever that is called that gives you some free games per month, but that's also tied to their online subscription, so you get both for the price of one. I THINK!

Last edited:
two free games per month if you subscribe. it's generally a decent deal

PS Now is the streaming service Phoenix was speaking of. It's a revolving library of around 700 mostly older games. You can also download the app and stream on your pc instead of console.

PS Now is shit, as it automatically ENDS YOUR GAME without saving if your wifi falters (99% of the time in my case) :zombie:
I think it gives you the option to download games now if you have a subscription, but not on the PS3 games that haven't been ported over to PS4 yet (Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid 4 from memory) which is one of the key reasons for signing up in the first place IMO.

I'm interested in the new Fable! I was an XBox 360 queen for all the RPGs, and remember playing the shit out of Fable 2 but Fable 3 was somehow awful and really boring? I'm sure both would be basic as hell by today's standards anyway.

PS Now is shit, as it automatically ENDS YOUR GAME without saving if your wifi falters (99% of the time in my case) :zombie:

How could it possibly mitigate that though? You either have Internet or don’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom