THE SUNDAY SYNC - PORTISHEAD - DUMMY 8PM 10/05

Can we take a moment to think about the poor bastard who had to clear all these samples.

There's actually not that many - several songs have none. They would take their own recordings, cut them acetates and the Barrow would DJ them, creating the crackle and fuzz - so some of them just sound like they come from old records.

But a few of them do.

There's actually not that many - several songs have none. They would take their own recordings, cut them acetates and the Barrow would DJ them, creating the crackle and fuzz - so some of them just sound like they come from old records.

But a few of them do.

Thanks for that I did wonder!

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
09 Wandering Star
09 It's a Fire
10 Numb
11 ROADS
08 Pedestal
08 Biscuit

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
07 Wandering Star
09 Its A Fire
10 Numb
11 Roads
09 Pedestal
08 Biscuit

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
07 Strangers
08 It Could Be Sweet
10 Wandering Star
08 It's A Fire
10 Numb
10 Roads
08 Pedestal
06 Biscuit

Glory Box: even my dad was obsessed with this at the time. God... the strings are just amazing and the chorus. I love this so much because it taps into commercial a little more, whilst never really leaving their roots.

...but of course, the most prominent sample is on "Glory Box".
It's the same sample as Tricky's "Hell is Round the Corner" isn't it? And both songs came out from the same era and around the same time etc. I just remember hearing them both within months of each other on the radio...

Glory Box: even my dad was obsessed with this at the time. God... the strings are just amazing and the chorus. I love this so much because it taps into commercial a little more, whilst never really leaving their roots.

Also... as a 12 year old, the strings felt so old-fashioned that I thought it was an old song.

It's the same sample as Tricky's "Hell is Round the Corner" isn't it? And both songs came out from the same era and around the same time etc. I just remember hearing them both within months of each other on the radio...

Yeah, Tricky's album was March '95. There was beef.

It's Isaac Hayes, by the way.

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
07 Strangers
08 It Could Be Sweet
10 Wandering Star
08 It's A Fire
10 Numb
10 Roads
08 Pedestal
06 Biscuit
11 Glory Box

Nice and chilled out after that, may pop their third album on after to get me back up to my normal levels of anxiety.

It's such a weird ending to just fade out with the song still in full flow.

Imagine listening to this as a new entry on the chart show and then the next song is the Nicki French version of Total Eclipse of the Heart.

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
07 Wandering Star
09 Its A Fire
10 Numb
11 Roads
09 Pedestal
08 Biscuit
11 Glory Box

Users who are viewing this thread