TV Ratings 2022

Maybe the general Eastenders audience just doesn’t watch Emmerdale. Can never understand why anyone who watches both would choose to watch an ITV soap live over a BBC one when you can FF through the ads.

Maybe the general Eastenders audience just doesn’t watch Emmerdale. Can never understand why anyone who watches both would choose to watch an ITV soap live over a BBC one when you can FF through the ads.

It certainly looks that way, but I thought generally the people that watch soaps watch them all. I never sit through anything ITV these days without pre recording, and only dip in and out of Corrie/Emmerdale.

My mum used to watch them ALL. Emmerdale was the first she gave up completely and Corrie is just a habit, but she acknowledges how shit it’s become. Strangely Neighbours is her absolute fav.

I only ever did Eastenders, Neighbours in its heyday and Hollyoaks for some Sunday morning omnibus trash in the early 00s.

I suppose like everything else people tend to have a favourite, and as terrible as it has been through recent times I have generally stuck with Eastenders and watch most episodes even if it is just on in the background. Emmerdale has probably been the best of the lot of them recently with MAD MEENA, but I still only tuned in for maybe an episode or so a week.

The ITV soaps slot switch doesn’t seem to have harmed Eastenders at all even though it is pretty much consistently head to head with either Emmerdale or Corrie. I am thinking that is mainly down to the fact that people don’t watch things live anymore?
I'll do a DEEP DIVE into the viewing figures of the soaps later :david:

Peaky Blinders losing more viewers in a week than The Ipcress File is not what I expected. For an established show I don't think losing one and a half million viewers in three weeks is great, though this run definitely hasn't been the best. I did really like the half an episode they devoted last week to Ada being generally fabulous however.

Dancing on Ice shedding viewers again too. I don't imagine taking a week off will do the final any favours either.

The ITV soaps slot switch doesn’t seem to have harmed Eastenders at all even though it is pretty much consistently head to head with either Emmerdale or Corrie. I am thinking that is mainly down to the fact that people don’t watch things live anymore?
:david: :david: :david:

Picking two episodes at random - Thursday 10th March when EastEnders was up against Emmerdale at 7.30pm

EastEnders: Live viewing 1.770m, VOSDAL* 1.302m, Time shifted** 0.780m = Total 3.852m
Emmerdale: Live viewing 3.004m, VOSDAL 0.788m, Time shifted 0.656m = Total 4.448m

*VOSDAL = viewing on same day as live (but not live)
**Time shifted = viewing after day of broadcast but within 7 days of live broadcast.

I can't see any occasion in this week of EastEnders going against Corrie.

So only 46% of EastEnders viewing for this episode was live, whereas it was 67.5% for Emmerdale. I guess you could say Emmerdale easily won the live battle, but people seem a lot more inclined to watch EE on catch up. I think that's unsurprising, given the younger demographic it attracts, and I'd personally say the fact that BBC iPlayer is much nicer to use than ITV hub may contribute to some smaller extent.

I was just thinking that about the iPlayer, it really is the best streaming service from the main UK channels and feels a lot easier to access than the others (even leaving aside the lack of adverts).

Although it wasn't directly against EastEnders, for purpose of comparison in terms of live viewing, the breakdown for the middle ranked episode of Coronation Street:

Live viewing 3.600m, VOSDAL 0.947m, Time shifted 0.804m = Total 5.351m

Live viewing 67%

So only 46% of EastEnders viewing for this episode was live, whereas it was 67.5% for Emmerdale. I guess you could say Emmerdale easily won the live battle, but people seem a lot more inclined to watch EE on catch up. I think that's unsurprising, given the younger demographic it attracts, and I'd personally say the fact that BBC iPlayer is much nicer to use than ITV hub may contribute to some smaller extent.

As @Ellie said earlier I don’t get why people still watch things live on ITV when you can record and miss adverts? That leads me to think that Emmerdale has an older audience which kind of shocks me since it’s pretty major resurgence a few years back when it took over from Eastenders as the second most watched soap.

Corrie is on Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8-9 so I would have thought it would clash with Eastenders on a Monday and Friday unless Eastenders has changed time slots. I rarely watch live and have them on series link.

Corrie is on Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8-9 so I would have thought it would clash with Eastenders on a Monday and Friday unless Eastenders has changed time slots. I rarely watch live and have them on series link.
EastEnders is now on at 7.30pm, Monday to Thursday.

Mr L watches an endless amount of TV, but absolutely NONE of it live - it's all in the planner and on series link. Some of it I watch as well, but I have no idea when it's actually broadcast. So far tonight we've watched that Tom Daley Comic Relief thing, Joanna Lumley's Paris show, and two TOTP. I don't have a clue when they were on.

I am watching The Apprentice live, just because for me shows like that and Strictly (and a fair bit of reality TV) are event TV, and if I don't watch them live, I invariably don't bother watching them at all.

Fuck watching any programme with adverts though. They drive me insane when I catch them when my mum has Dancing On Ice (or Skating On Ice as the daft bint insists on calling it) on.

I was just thinking that about the iPlayer, it really is the best streaming service from the main UK channels and feels a lot easier to access than the others (even leaving aside the lack of adverts).
There's something to watch on iPlayer as often as there is on Netflix.

Reactions: COB
EastEnders is still on at 8 on Mondays up here, but I think that's only temporary - it's later to accommodate the hour-long episode of River City at 7, but from next week that's being split into two half-hour episodes so presumably EE will move to 7:30 then.

The change was two weeks ago, I think! They've also put a 7pm repeat of DOCTORS on BBC2 each night :o

March 14 - 20

01 The Apprentice 7.031m
02 Coronation Street 5.415m
03 Holding 5.341m
04 Emmerdale 4.845m
05 Peaky Blinders 4.743m
06 BBC News at Six 4.595m
07 This Is Going To Hurt 4.471m
08 Gogglebox 4.440m
09 Grantchester 4.020m
10 Six Nations Championship 3.972m
11 Countryfile 3.830m
12 FA Cup 3.789m
13 The Ipcress File 3.751m
14 EastEnders 3.722m
15 Dragons' Den 3.646m
16 Dynasties II 3.596m
17 Comic Relief 3.518m
18 BBC Weekend News 3.324m
19 Kate & Koji 3.188m
20 ITV Evening News 3.107m

Last edited:
The change was two weeks ago, I think! They've also put a 7pm repeat of DOCTORS on BBC2 each night :o

Christ, Doctors is still going?
When I was a student that was the moment of “well I suppose we’d better do some work before Countdown”

• BOOM BOOM
That rating for Kate and Koji is pretty good. The show itself is dreadful, when Jimmy left, they should have quietly binned it.

That rating for Kate and Koji is pretty good. The show itself is dreadful, when Jimmy left, they should have quietly binned it.
It's over 45% lower than what the first season opened with (although that was peak lockdown), and about 25% lower than what it finished with.

Those Peaky Blinders figures are surely rather disappointing considering all the hype surrounding it, as well as it being the final series.

Those Peaky Blinders figures are surely rather disappointing considering all the hype surrounding it, as well as it being the final series.
Yes, I don't think it got quite the boost the BBC was expecting when it moved from BBC2 to BBC1 a series (or two?) back.

I think it's one of those shows which is very popular with a certain demographic, but hasn't really translated to mass appeal beyond that.

Yes, I don't think it got quite the boost the BBC was expecting when it moved from BBC2 to BBC1 a series (or two?) back.

I think it's one of those shows which is very popular with a certain demographic, but hasn't really translated to mass appeal beyond that.

Yes Line of Duty it is not. I do think that this final run in particular has not been helped by some quite uneven episodes.

Yes Line of Duty it is not. I do think that this final run in particular has not been helped by some quite uneven episodes.
I've never watched it to know.

All I know of Peaky Blinders is shit memes on Facebook my brother shares, and the brief glimpses I get of it if I walk through the room when Mr L is watching it. And that always seems to be nothing more than a character mumbling in a dark room.

I've never watched it to know.

All I know of Peaky Blinders is shit memes on Facebook my brother shares, and the brief glimpses I get of it if I walk through the room when Mr L is watching it. And that always seems to be nothing more than a character mumbling in a dark room.
There’s lots of swearing in it and it’s also too violent for me

There’s lots of swearing in it and it’s also too violent for me
I imagined as much. I can't bear violence on film or TV. Definitely one of my strongest HSP indicators.

I am an INFJ and avoiding violence on TV is a common characteristic.

BBC 1 at 9pm :D
Oh right.

Well, I only get the overall top 50 or the top 15 by channel, and it isn't in either of those. I think you may be able to get more if you pay to subscribe but I'm not quite that full on.

All I can say with certainty therefore is that it had less than 2.807m viewers, which was the overall #50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom