MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

I must say her single releases were often good value for money.
Back when her remixes were good, yes, but she was quite stingy and not a prolific B-side artist even though there's plenty in the vaults (unlike Kylie whose B-sides are THE BEST...)

Imagine releasing five excellent singles from the same album, and you still have Sky Fits Heaven as an album track.

Back when her remixes were good, yes, but she was quite stingy and not a prolific B-side artist even though there's plenty in the vaults (unlike Kylie whose B-sides are THE BEST...)
Yeah it was always remixes. But I'm a WHORE for a remix.

Is this some sort of Kabbala nonsense then? I think I'd prefer the album just got on with Frozen frankly.

This is the last one of the dance section, works so well as the final one before we get to hear the chilling intro to Frozen.

She'd get hammered for "cultural appropriation" for this these days.

She did at the time to be fair. She performed this in full-on Indian garb at the MTV awards, only to take the cloaks off and writhe around to 'Ray of Light' with Lenny Kravitz on guitar. The press was harsher the next day about the cultural appropriation aspects of her performance than they should have been about her vocals..

Love this string opening to Frozen. Magnificent.

Can I just say - yes she gets a lot of shit these days (sometimes quite rightly so) but she gave us 'Frozen' at the Madame X Tour in its full glory. No bullshit, no reinvention. With very sparse but emotive staging (she was singing it behind, and 'dwarfed' by, a massive video projection of Lourdes.)

It was by far the best moment of both shows I went to. And this was a setlist that included 'Like A Prayer'.

The buzzy electo, the sweeping strings, the smashing synth drums and the delicate yet desperate vocals.

Stunning.

The strings in the middle 8 are quite something - lovely, sweeping, almost Indian feel.

My recollection is that her last two studio albums before this had been relatively unsuccessful and that coming back with this and making it work was a huge achievement.

My recollection is that her last two studio albums before this had been relatively unsuccessful and that coming back with this and making it work was a huge achievement.

Same. It felt very much like a comeback.

Yes, sort of. Erotica underperformed massively because of the SEX book, but she turned the tide around a bit with Bedtime Stories and then disappeared to do Evita. And then came back with this. It was just genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom