MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS - #1: MADONNA - RAY OF LIGHT - 8PM TUESDAY 14/04

The Power of Goodbye is one of my very favourite Madonna songs ever. I've always preferred the slowies.

And the video was such a perfect visual accompaniment to the song. Ugh when she 'falls' and 'shatters' into a flock of birds :disco:
It hasn't age well IMHO, but still magnificent and a perfect fit.

The Power of Goodbye has definitely reduced me to tears on occasion.. I have to be in the right mood for it but when I am, it can break me.

My memory is that she was made a bit of a laughing stock around Erotica because of the book and whilst Bedtime Stories restored some cred, it wasn't that big a seller. Turns out I was wrong and BS sold shedloads!

My memory is that she was made a bit of a laughing stock around Erotica because of the book and whilst Bedtime Stories restored some cred, it wasn't that big a seller. Turns out I was wrong and BS sold shedloads!
It sold more than Erotica, yes, but it was still below Madonna standards. Something to Remember ("I can sing ballads too! And I will slowly transform into Eva Peron in front of your eyes") further helped and then Evita came along and gave her proper cred from the establishment etc.

Not sure when I last listened to the rest of the album, if I'm honest.

My most vivid memory of the Bedtime Stories era was some DJ describing the video of Human Nature as 'a has been perving around in a giant ice cube tray'. I'd have loved to have seen his face when Frozen came out.

My most vivid memory of the Bedtime Stories era was some DJ describing the video of Human Nature as 'a has been perving around in a giant ice cube tray'. I'd have loved to have seen his face when Frozen came out.
Idiot. 'Human Nature' is one of her best videos! Cheap as chips to make but oh so iconic..

There's something delighfully precarious about this - it's fragile, delicate...again, the production is great. It would have been easy to overcook this and make La Isla Bonita 2 out of it.

It sold more than Erotica, yes, but it was still below Madonna standards. Something to Remember ("I can sing ballads too! And I will slowly transform into Eva Peron in front of your eyes") further helped and then Evita came along and gave her proper cred from the establishment etc.
I love Something to Remember. It's the only Madonna album in my flat right now.

It did feel like she was stumbling in the mid 90s.

There's something delighfully precarious about this - it's fragile, delicate...again, the production is great. It would have been easy to overcook this and make La Isla Bonita 2 out of it.
Indeed. I'm glad that the finished product is quite faithful to the original demo version, which had a more bossa nova feel to it. This has some more guitars on it (ugh the rain of guitars at the end with her whispered vocals - so good...)

Sadly there is a better 90s song called Little Star.

Although the aquatic beeps are the tits.

LITTLE STAR

This is lovely but I would say probably my least favourite track on the album. There's something about the production that is slightly jarring and feels slightly out of sync with the rest (not surprising as it was not co-produced with William Orbit).

Her vocals are gorgeous though and her heartbreak shines through.

'You breathe new life into my broken heart' is one of my favourite lyrics of hers..

To Have and Not To Hold, aside from being the track I sang to @RaspberrySwirl over MSN messenger several eons ago, it was my favourite track on the album. It sort of summarised a dark period of reckoning with my sexuality as a teenager. The whole reminds of that adolescence really, but especially this one.
Oh!? :D

To Have and Not To Hold, aside from being the track I sang to @RaspberrySwirl over MSN messenger several eons ago, it was my favourite track on the album. It sort of summarised a dark period of reckoning with my sexuality as a teenager. The whole reminds of that adolescence really, but especially this one.
OMG

I'd say she needed this to be the huge success it was. If it had dome similar numbers to Bedtime Stories or Erotica then it would have been easy to argue that she was on the decline.

Again, the melancholic strings are pure gorgeousness...

Performed once ever at the Oprah Winfrey promo show (along with 'Ray of Light' naturally).

I'd say she needed this to be the huge success it was. If it had dome similar numbers to Bedtime Stories or Erotica then it would have been easy to argue that she was on the decline.
Yes and there were already some corners of the press waiting to write her off before it came out. As a FAITHFUL LOON I was so relieved when she blew everyone away!

This is perfunctory compared to the trio of songs before it. Feels a bit indulgent and flimsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom