22 dead at Manchester Arena Ariana Grande concert bombing

I notice Ariana "One Last Time" is #3 on iTunes.

It somehow seems inappropriate to do a chart watch...

If you give it a spin you'll be an utter mess. It's taken on a whole new meaning :(

I tell you what... Manchester in mourning is far more appealing and sympathetic than Liverpool in mourning.

There are reasons the world loves Manchester. Mostly musical but I've never met a Mancunian who wasn't sound.

I've been seriously homesick watching it. It really re-enforces why I loved living there so much.
I've only been a few times, but LOVED it every time. Easily on my list of possible places to live post-Masters.

This is going to sound awful, but the representatives of Didsbury Mosque came across dreadfully on TV today.

I was supposed to have a job interview tomorrow a couple of minutes walk away from the Morrisons the suspected guy was arrested outside in Chorlton.

Obviously I didn't cancel for reasons connected to this.

The whole thing is so fresh. London just feels that much further away and isolated from the rest of the UK, as others have said. My connections to England are Liverpool and Manchester so this just seems so much closer to home. And yet it seems like it was so much more inevitable in one of the big cities like Manchester or Birmingham. Jill and Beryl, you must both just not know what to be thinking right now.

Nah, Manchester is a pretty good place. I prefer my side of the pennines but we're all northern so it's fine.

The banner is fantastic.

I've been too shocked and saddened to post about it. I keep looking at pictures of the victims and reading their stories and welling up. I can't even begin to imagine.

There was a vigil here this evening. I'm guessing a lot of places had them. I wasn't able to get there in time after finishing work.

I'm only today really able to read about it in any depth and like Suedehead keep going back to the photos and stories of those lost on various news sites. So desperately harrowing. That feeling of utter powerlessness combined with a need to acknowledge them all as individuals, rather than a number and a headline. I cannot contemplate how those directly affected by it are feeling. I hope everyone can find peace.

Jill and Beryl, I'm so sorry for your loss and what you've been through. I can't even imagine. Though I was convinced someone from here would have been there - but thought even if they had been, the chances of being that close would still be low. So so sorry.

I didn't realise I had seen so many of Martyn's tweets. I didn't follow him, but many of my friends did. I'm not sure there are many funnier on there. He was clearly an absolute star.

Rumours are circulating that Ariana has offered to pay for the funerals of all the victims. It;s unofficial though, so likely to be a hoax. Why would people say this?

:(

I too will say how sorry and devastated I am with this and so horrified that people we know from here actually were affected by this horrible horrible crime.

My thoughts are with you.

Seriously? :manson:

I followed the post saying 'on a serious note', so I was obviously not talking seriously saying that.

The best bit about that pic is what appears to be a signed picture of Eileen Derbyshire on his wall.

Inexplicably devastating. There's been many terrorist attacks targeting children in Yemen that hurt, but the thought of little girls & queens squealing to Side to Side on their way out of the night of their lives only to be met by a loud bomb and even louder screams...

What devastates me most is, whenever a terrorist attack happens, I feel people's fear and stares; cashiers aggressively avoiding eye contact/struggling not to speak rudely, coworkers and (rightwing) friends turn cold and insolent. I feel extremely isolated and out of place. At times it gets too much at work that during lunch breaks I take my food and eat in the bathroom, or pretend I have to run out for a quick little errand outside. Thinking of the 2+ million newly-arrived Muslims in Europe being secluded because of stares, judgement (and/or what Bev's aunt and colleague's sister faced) makes me think that Islamic radicalisation in Europe hasn't even begun, and that freaks me out.

What devastates me most is, whenever a terrorist attack happens, I feel people's fear and stares; cashiers aggressively avoiding eye contact/struggling not to speak rudely, coworkers and (rightwing) friends turn cold and insolent. I feel extremely isolated and out of place. At times it gets too much at work that during lunch breaks I take my food and eat in the bathroom, or pretend I have to run out for a quick little errand outside. Thinking of the 2+ million newly-arrived Muslims in Europe being secluded because of stares, judgement (and/or what Bev's aunt and colleague's sister faced) makes me think that Islamic radicalisation in Europe hasn't even begun, and that freaks me out.

And of course, this is exactly WHY these attacks happen.

No, that is not why these attacks happen. Please, let's not try to justify them. There are racists everywhere and a lot of people are , for various reasons, excluded from society, but that's not enough to make you a terrorist. If it was, then we'd have all kinds of people of colour blowing up buildings and killing people all the time.

I'm sorry you feel that way though, J-Snow. You should try to not thinking about it.

That's terrible to hear. I think of people who react like that as people who have allowed themselves to be taken in by a nonexistent narrative - it's the ease of lying down and letting the loudest people dictate your understanding of what has happened.
The political aggression on both sides that comes with all this makes my head spin - everyone is trying to be the one to make the most sense out of it, and to summarise why it has happened the most succinctly. But it's the real life interactions like the ones you have listed that matter the most, and it's depressing that the extremities of what other people say online or in media affect people's own behaviour in the way you have mentioned.

I went to the theatre last night, my friend was in a play and it had been planned for months. I don't think it was the best idea but I didn't want to not do normal things. I was so tense all through it and then nearly had an anxiety attack coming out. I didn't want to go through the doors. Then there were armed police outside. Wasn't nice. But I'm just telling myself that I've done it now, I can't avoid crowds and the longer I left it the worse it could be.

I went to the theatre last night, my friend was in a play and it had been planned for months. I don't think it was the best idea but I didn't want to not do normal things. I was so tense all through it and then nearly had an anxiety attack coming out. I didn't want to go through the doors. Then there were armed police outside. Wasn't nice. But I'm just telling myself that I've done it now, I can't avoid crowds and the longer I left it the worse it could be.

Absolutely the best way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom