Eurovision 2021 News

Most likely scenario?

• Total voters
That’s a weird thought, even though Duncan won he’s a distant second in the eyes of the public.
I mean, he wasn't really a 'distant' second, had a top 40 hit two years after the fact in the UK with it, and is about to turn it into a hit in the US...

I know it’s early days so it’s just a bit of fun etc but I can see the current faves, Malta winning without winning either group;

Second on the juries behind Switzerland (or third with France up there too) and second on the televote behind Lithuania.

The juries had him about tenth didn‘t they? He quickly rose up without much fanfare because everyone was going NETHERLANDS! NORWAY! ICELAND! WTF MACEDONIA!

Haven't read up, but is it true that Helena is performing this year? I've been wondering the last few weeks why we've hardly seen her in the Eurovision bubble compared to *some* previous winners.

shes on a roof somewhere apparently
Which sounds like some beastly ESC forum in-joke but it’s true

The EBU has responded to the announcement that, if circumstances allow, audiences will be permitted to attend the Eurovision Song Contest in May.

“We welcome this decision by the Dutch government and the possibility that we can invite fans to join us as we bring the Eurovision Song Contest back in May,” says Martin Österdahl, Executive Supervisor of the Eurovision Song Contest.

“We will consider the options now available and announce more details in the coming weeks on how we can safely admit audiences to the Ahoy venue in Rotterdam should the situation allow. The health and safety of all those attending the event remains our top priority.”

Would be great!

The Dutch government: "there is a pandemic on but if we have lowered restrictions enough to allow audiences, we will allow audiences"

Apparently most of the back up performances are ALREADY SHOT, and have to be sent over within an hour of shooting to avoid any tampering with the audio :D :eyes:

I'd have thought they'd film a back up if it was decided they can't make it there, but I suppose having it in the can already makes some sense.

I'm quite sad at the thought of many pre-records we might get. How is it going to look? Imagine the disjointedness of it all, flipping back and forth between that and the live stage. Maybe it will all be clever and seamless and they can somehow make it look like they're actually there.

And yes I know we have to be grateful, I'll take anything that actually resembles a contest. However the way the organisers seem to be full steam ahead pandemic be damned feels like it's giving me false hope. I mean it's not like they just stick the singer on a plane is it, surely the entourage for each country must be substantial when you add it all up. The thought of all this happening feels so at ODDS with everything actually going on!

The juries had him about tenth didn‘t they? He quickly rose up without much fanfare because everyone was going NETHERLANDS! NORWAY! ICELAND! WTF MACEDONIA!

He also benefitted massively from being surrounded by no real favourites and was sandwiched between that SISTER song and the horrid thing from Denmark which would have helped anyone!

Also it's Sergey, he's pretty, sings well, the staging was memorable. It stood out even though it was so much less than it wanted to be.

If acts can't make it and we see their pre-records, does that mean we'll potentially watch the same pre-records for the semis and the final or are they doing two pre-records? I suspect the former right

Oh god I'd never even thought of that.

The winner's reprise being the same video again for the third time :D
Or possible some improvised live performance from whichever studio green room they're beaming in on.

The whole thing worked okay for Junior Eurovision; of course it wasn't as good as the real thing but it was fine.

They've started building the stage today! Am really hoping for a day-by-day construction diary but I guess that depends on whether M&M are building it this year.

They've started building the stage today! Am really hoping for a day-by-day construction diary but I guess that depends on whether M&M are building it this year.

I think the websites been taking offline :(

There is an Instagram account called teamesc2021 which posts regular updates though!

Seems like a missed opportunity for a 'moment' if Duncan opens semi 1 with Arcade and performs his new single at the final.

With Arcade having taken off as a hit in a lot of places only in recent months, having it performed as the interval act at the final would be a really nice pat-on-the-back for the contest. A victory lap for Eurovision itself.

And that final interval is far more likely to boost Arcade further than it is to serve as a successful launch for his new single.

Seems like a missed opportunity for a 'moment' if Duncan opens semi 1 with Arcade and performs his new single at the final.

With Arcade having taken off as a hit in a lot of places only in recent months, having it performed as the interval act at the final would be a really nice pat-on-the-back for the contest. A victory lap for Eurovision itself.

And that final interval is far more likely to boost Arcade further than it is to serve as a successful launch for his new single.
Oh I'm sure Acade will be ALL OVER THE SHOW.

If acts can't make it and we see their pre-records, does that mean we'll potentially watch the same pre-records for the semis and the final or are they doing two pre-records? I suspect the former right

That’s what they did at Sanremo for one of the acts and it worked ok if not a bit repetitive after the 3rd time.

I presume they’re still announcing the televote in the DREADFUL way they did in Tel Aviv?

I really hope they switch it back at some point as not only did it feel like a change for changes sake, but it makes it even more confusing to follow for the AVERAGE VIEWER and it completely DISREGARDS the televote winner (I recall NO mention of KEiiNO in 2019).

It's SUCH a pet hate of mine, as you may have noticed.

But I fear the burying of the televote winner is a very conscious way to mask the fact that the public haven't actually chosen the ultimate champion in three of the last five Contests. (2015, 2016, 2019)

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it either. It's "cute" for the initial shock value but beyond that, it doesn't sit well with me for the exact reason @VoR stated.

I'd completely forgotten about that! I was definitely hoping Tel Aviv was a one-off.

They used the same system in Melfest this year, which feels like a double-down.

I wonder if KEiiNO would have had a repeat performance had they won again :D

SHAT on by the juries but winning the televote and getting no recognition. IMAGINE :D:(

What IS the system now? Reveal the public votes in reverse Jury ranking order?

I mean personally I don’t like those moments of “you got a shit score lol”, it leaves a very unpleasant taste for me, especially if it doesn’t even celebrate properly when someone does well (eg Keiino)

I think the current system is even MORE cruel in that respect though. When Germany scored 0 they really lingered on it.

Exactly. And something like John Lundvik will feel a little cruel no matter when it happens, but it's kinder to get it out of the way earlier on than keeping him waiting and reminding everyone he's a top jury vote so should expect high points.

I don’t like that this way gives a really disproportionate amount of airtime to the jury choices. Tamara and John never came close to winning for example, but you could be forgiven for thinking they were just pipped in the end.

What I don’t buy though is that the previous way was any more exciting - as exciting as a Keiino televote win moment would have been for them and the fans, it would have been blindingly obvious to most that they were never going to make up the ground and win it.

At least this way it will ALWAYS come down to a tense head-to-head, which I think is what most casual viewers really want.

It really depends on the year, surely? Yes, in 2019 Keiino were so massacred by the juries that they could never have made up the ground, but unless you're a maths whizz, 2016 and 2018 were pretty thrilling finishes, and 2017 only a bit less so because it was so obvious Portugal were going to win.

I don't think either of the new systems is anymore humiliating than having to sit through up to TWO HOURS of the slow voting of the past as you sit on the bottom of the scoreboard with barely any points. I think back to how future Moopyvision Song Contest: All Stars winner Gunvor must have felt in 1998 sitting through endless Ulrika Johnson banter as her beautiful song Lass Ihn sat with zero points throughout the proceedings. This modern way is like a ripping off a plaster. HA! You got zero, okay who's next. Germany? Okay Germany it's not good news sweetie.*

*realised when writing this how good I would be at delivering the televotes section

It really depends on the year, surely? Yes, in 2019 Keiino were so massacred by the juries that they could never have made up the ground, but unless you're a maths whizz, 2016 and 2018 were pretty thrilling finishes, and 2017 only a bit less so because it was so obvious Portugal were going to win.

Oh yes it totally depends on the year and the old way definitely delivers a tense result sometimes (although there was the slightly awkward minute of Cesar from Austria having to pretend he was excited at possibly winning when he knew he couldn’t).

What I’m saying is, the new way can deliver that EVERY time, except perhaps when a song absolutely landslides the jury and the televote but that can’t be helped.

Also, I think those who are apparently concerned about the cruelty of the new way are ignoring the fact that your whole country will be watching and hundreds of millions beyond.

If you went into the contest as hot favourite and end up crashing and burning in 18th, no voting reveal system is going to hide that.

I don’t like that this way gives a really disproportionate amount of airtime to the jury choices. Tamara and John never came close to winning for example, but you could be forgiven for thinking they were just pipped in the end.

What I don’t buy though is that the previous way was any more exciting - as exciting as a Keiino televote win moment would have been for them and the fans, it would have been blindingly obvious to most that they were never going to make up the ground and win it.

At least this way it will ALWAYS come down to a tense head-to-head, which I think is what most casual viewers really want.

i sort of agree, but I mean how nice must that have been for Poland in 2016, that excitement of WTF is happening and having no idea how many points were still in the pot (unless you’re there with a calculation in which case *slow clap* well done)

it would’ve been clear that it wasn’t a good night for Keiino after the jury votes, but then the slow realisation that they got a good televote, culminating in them winning the televote, even though it wouldn’t mean a win, it would still have that moment of “omg how high could they go?”

that would’ve been a great positive moment. Not like these people doing great on jury votes and suddenly *HEADSHOT* fuck you goodnight loser

I’m on today’s episode of Jukebox Jury reviewing Israel, Iceland, Ukraine, North Macedonia and Germany, if anyone’s interested.

Can't see the link, but you got all the bangers :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom